A few days back i made one of my favorite dish, Egg chilly. It serves as a perfect appetizer on a chilly evening and as a side dish for dinner as well.
Here is my recipe of Egg chilly.
Ingredients : (Serves 4)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 large size onion, diced and peeled
- 1 capsicum diced
- 5-6 green chillies slit
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Tomato sauce (6 tablespoons)
- Soya sauce (1 tablespoon)
- Vinegar (1 teaspoon)
- Chilly sauce (2-3 tablespoons)
- Sugar (according to taste)
- Salt (according to taste)
- Turmeric (1/2 teaspoon)
- Refined oil (10 tablespoons)
- First hard boil the eggs, peel them and keep aside.
- Poke the eggs on four sides using a tooth pick or fork. Make sure not to break them. This helps the incorporation of spices into the eggs.
- Sprinkle a little salt and turmeric over the eggs and mix properly. Once all eggs are coated with salt and turmeric, cover them and let rest.
- After atleast half an hour, heat refined oil in a deep kadhai.
- Fry the marinated eggs slowly. It is better to fry them in small batches so that the eggs don’t break. Also, make sure not to fry to much.
- Keep the fried eggs in a plate. In the remaining oil, add garlic and saute for a minute.
- Then add the onions and capsicums. Fry them on medium flame.
- Add a little sugar. This caramelizes the onions.
- Fry until the onions turn translucent. Now add the green chilies.
- For making the gravy, take a bowl and add the tomato, chilly and soya sauce and vinegar. Mix them nicely.
- Pour this mixture into the veggies. Add salt and water. Add water depending on the consistency you want. Add at least 1-2 cups of water.
- Let the gravy come to a boil. Once it starts boiling keep stirring.
- Turn the flame to medium and let the gravy boil. Once you get the consistency you want, turn off the flame.
- Take a flat airtight container. Cut the fried eggs into halves and line them in the container. It’s better to make just one layer.
- Pour the gravy over the eggs. Make sure all the eggs are entirely covered in the gravy.
- Put the lid and let the eggs soak the flavor.
- Open the lid after 10mins. and serve.